This is a follow-up of the Customizing WordPress With Jetpack’s CSS Style Sheet Editor post. I realized that some people don’t want to get stuck using plugins like Jetpack so this post is a quick “how to” on using custom CSS and a simple WordPress child theme.
1. After you have installed WordPress login into the admin area hover over appearance in the left menu and click on themes.
2. Next you are going to create a folder on your computer called twenty fourteen-child.
3. For this next step I recommend downloading and using a program called Notepad ++ so you can easily create a new CSS file.
4. Grab the code below and paste that into your new CSS file:
/* Theme Name: Twenty Fourteen Child Theme URI: http://example.com/twenty-fourteen-child/ Description: Twenty Fourteen Child Theme Author: John Doe Author URI: http://example.com Template: twentyfourteen Version: 1.0.0 Tags: light, dark, two-columns, right-sidebar, responsive-layout, accessibility-ready Text Domain: twenty-fourteen-child */ @import url("../twentyfourteen/style.css"); /* =Theme customization starts here -------------------------------------------------------------- */
You can add any info that you want.
5. Now you are going to add any custom CSS code that you need to use below the “theme customization starts here”.
6. Save this file as style.css and get ready to upload!
7. Now that you have your new CSS saved inside the folder that you have created. You are going to send to ZIP or Compress the folder.
8. Log back into admin and again hover over appearance and click themes. Then add theme and click on Upload Theme. then select your new ZIP file.
9. After the file uploads you can now activate your new child theme and edit to your hearts desire without breaking Twenty Fourteen.
If you want to use the basic CSS that I use on my site, just download the child theme that I have provided below. The CSS will center and change the link colors of the default Twenty Fourteen theme.
Hope that helps you all out! Please let me know in the comments if you like or dislike or have any trouble with the CSS. I will do my best to help you out.
Download 5.9 KiB